Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Winter, My Nemesis


I fell off the blogging wagon. Nothing I’ve written has been fit to put out into the world.

Lately, weekends excursions have consisted of grocery shopping and… grocery shopping.

I think many of us struggle in the winter. Going outside is a production of hats, scarves, boots, gloves, coats, and possibly a second pair of socks. It may not seem like a bit deal, but when you’re already depressed and don’t want to leave the house this is just one more barrier. 

It’s also cold (depending on where you live) and it seems easier to just stay inside where it’s warm. For me, this means my dog is the only interaction I get with a living creature. So, no actual human interaction. No one to talk with face to face.

Speaking of the dog, she isn’t getting long walks. They’re good for her, but they’re also part of my self-care plan. Being outside in nature makes me feel happy. I can’t explain why. Maybe it has to do with being surrounded by life. Maybe it’s not being cooped up in four walls. And if the sun is shining it’s even better. I tilt my face towards the light and full on bask.

I grew up in the Great Lakes region of the United States. It’s cold af around those parts. I grew up on the bad side of the Lake where lake effect snow is real and sucks. Sometimes we’d go weeks without seeing the sun. Even when I’ve lived in warm climates, I’d get depressed in the fall because I knew winter was coming. While living in Southern California, I got this hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach come October. It was still beautiful there, but I spent so long dreading winter that the fall became a traumatic event. 

Wherever you are, I hope the winter isn’t kicking your ass. And if it is, I hope you’ve not melted into the couch or bed. All my Great Lakes homies, you’re in my thoughts and daily meditations. Those of you at the top of WI and MI, I hope you still have all your fingers and toes! You guys are the definition of hardcore.

No comments:

Post a Comment