Thursday, May 14, 2020

Blood and Bone by Tara Brown


Yeah, I fell off. But I’m here now. I’m not going to even write about feelings. We are all up to our eye balls in emotions. There is nothing I have to offer that you can’t probably find online.

I’m going to take it old school and write about books. It took me a minute to get on the reading bandwagon. Many people in my FB book groups said they thought they’d sit around reading all the time since we had to stay at home, but didn’t. Most cited lack of focus as the problem. I rose my hand and said, “Yup. Same here.”

I wrote a post asking for book recommendations that weren’t apocalyptic/dystopian or too happy in hopes that would help. I couldn’t handle happy. I had two Emma Scott books on my TBR list and thought, “Oh noooo. That lady is the queen of making you cry then giving you a ridiculously happy ending.”

I’ve finally come to a place where I can burn my Sunday up binge reading a trilogy. And I found the right genre. The Mind Fuck.

The Blood and Bone trilogy by Tara Brown. OMG. Total Mind Fuck. I spent half the books unsure if I was in reality or not. Kinda like Never Never by Coleen Hoover. There is a distortion of reality going on with the characters and the reader is drug into it.

The MC is awesome! She works for some super-secret unnamed government agency. Sounds far-fetched, but her character is so bad ass it seems probable. She’s an assassin and very unapologetic about it. The point of the story is not that she change her ways. She is “an eye for eye” to the last page. I liked that about her and the way Tara Brown wrote her.

he was also  a bit fragile in private moments alone. The character wasn’t one dimensional. The reader gets to see that she has many sides to her and how life molded her into this person. She also has two different colored eyes that becomes critical to the story. Doesn’t make sense, right? That’s what is so cool about the whole series!

I def had a good amount of triggers and I don’t go too too dark with my romance. This series felt like it was often skirting the edge of my comfort level. Some may find it not a big deal at all. For me, I was always unsure if I could keep reading. It never went to a point that I had to put the book down. That skirted edge made the story much more compelling for me. Again, it may be chump change to some. If you can handle the Deliver series by Pam Godwin this will be nothing for you. I couldn’t handle that series which sucked because I like Pam’s writing quite a bit.

Anyhoo, there is a love story. It isn’t front and center, yet it was crucial to the story.  I’m putting the link below. It’s on KU if you have that. I can’t rave enough, but I have to go back to work. Booooo…..

Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)




No comments:

Post a Comment